The Tarot is a powerful set of symbols full of mystery and wisdom that have been a source of spiritual exploration for centuries. Tarot cards were first used as a game in Europe more than 500 years ago, but they quickly became much more than just a game. The cards provide insight into our lives and the choices we make, offering guidance for future possibilities.
The Basics Of Tarot
Tarot cards are a deck of 78 cards, each with its own special meaning. There are 22 major arcana cards, which represent the major themes and ideas that life presents, and 56 minor arcana cards, which represent more specific aspects of life such as career paths, relationships, emotions, etc. The cards are typically divided into four suits of 14 cards each: swords, pentacles, wands and cups. Each of these suits have 10 numbered cards and 4 face cards representing a King, Queen, Knight, and Page.
Unveiling Different Decks
When it comes to tarot cards, there are hundreds of different decks to choose from, each with its own unique artwork and symbolism. It’s important to find a deck that resonates with you and speaks to your soul. Many decks also come with a companion book that helps explain the unique meanings of the cards.
The most popular decks include the Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot, the Thoth Tarot, the Wild Unknown Animal Spirit Deck, the Golden Thread Tarot, and the Modern Witch Tarot. Each of these decks has its own unique artistic interpretation, certain keywords, and way of looking at the energy of each card.
Getting Started With Tarot
Now that you’ve chosen a deck, it’s time to start exploring the cards. A great way to spend time with each card is to meditate on it and try to understand the symbolism behind it. You can also record your thoughts in a journal and use that to keep track of your interpretations and insights. Then, when you’re ready, start attempting different readings and layouts with the cards. There are many different spreads to choose from, so feel free to experiment and find which one works best for you.
The tarot can be a great way to explore the depths of your own consciousness and gain spiritual insight into your life. As you continue to explore the cards, you’ll be able to gain a deeper understanding of their meanings as well as the meanings behind the many symbols that they portray. There’s no right or wrong way to read the cards, just your own personal way, so be sure to enjoy the journey.
What are the different types of tarot card decks?
1. Rider-Waite: This traditional deck is one of the most commonly used tarot decks in the world, featuring colorful artwork of many varying themes.
2. Thoth: This deck was created by Aleister Crowley and is known for its complex symbols and themes.
3. Marseille: This classic deck dates back to the early 18th century and is simpler than the Rider-Waite or Thoth decks.
4. Golden Thread: This Modern Tarot deck is unique for its combination of whimsical art and traditional symbolism.
5. Wild Unknown: With dark and abstract imagery, the Wild Unknown tarot deck is perfect for those seeking a more contemplative approach to tarot readings.
6. Shadowscapes: This highly detailed tarot deck is designed for the more spiritual tarot enthusiast.
7. Deviant Moon: With its Gothic-inspired artwork, the Deviant Moon tarot deck is perfect for those looking to access the Shadow realm.
What tarot card deck is best for a beginner?
The Rider-Waite tarot deck is one of the most popular and widely recommended tarot decks for beginners. Other compatible and popular decks include the Universal Waite Tarot Deck, and the Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot Deck.